Sunday, July 15, 2007

Squeezing the Cheese

Ever since we moved here from Tucson, John and I have been bemoaning the lack of queso blanco, the Mexican cheese that is essential to making (or in absence, breaking) Mexican food. Last night I was curled up reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver and came across her account of making queso blanco with ease at home. So we thought we'd try it. A half hour at the stove with a thermometer, a pan of milk, and a little bit of vinegar, and today...

Maravilloso! I made an omlette this morning with bacon and my own cheese, and it actually tastes like Mexican food! I can't believe how easy it was. Now I just have to round up a few supplies and I can make my own local, organic mozzerella, ricotta, and mascarpone. For starters, anyway.

You know you want to sign up for that picnic!

No comments: